Monday, March 21, 2011

Story

I wrote a short story recently. During my college days my friends and I would finish each others story or write from a different view point with a twist etc. I did something similar by writing a different view point to my friends popular story. There were responses appreciating the work.

Unfortunately, it was all for the wrong reasons. The irony and subtlety, that I was appreciating myself for, that I was particularly proud of was completely lost on my readers. Here I was thinking I have made a profound statement by highlighting a hidden dimension of the protagonist and not a single reader caught it.

Of course the fault could simply be the way I wrote it - however my friend who did catch the twist that I gave to his character told me kindly that this sort of highbrow style wont work. I felt extremely depressed - and I call myself an aspiring writer.

1 comment:

ராகவன் said...

Dont get depressed dear friend...

your narrating style is exquisite Radhika!