Saturday, April 16, 2011

An afternoon in Dubai

Spent a nice afternoon looking around Dubai. The airport was high tech and the first time when I got ID-ed by an iris scan. I wondered idly how much about me lives in machines. Can someone completely 'reconstruct' me based on the online information?

Decided to get a cab considering the short duration and the hotel staff obliged by hiring one. After a minute hesitation, the driver/guide told me he was from Pakistan. A very knowledgeable and courteous young man, he took us around to wherever I wanted to go.

I told him I had no intentions of visiting the malls. We started with the burdubai region, generally driving past the predominantly Indian crowd and the Indian shops, marveled at the air conditioned bus stops, sandy buildings and the amount of greenery.

No comments: